Q1. What is Functional Medicine?
"Functional Medicine is a personalized, systems-oriented model that empowers patients and practitioners to achieve the highest expression of health by working in collaboration to address the underlying causes of disease." - Institute for Functional Medicine
Q2. How should I prepare for my appointment?
All intake documents must be completed on the patient portal within 72 hours of your appointment. If the items below are not complete we will unfortunately need to reschedule your appointment.
- Visit the patient portal and register with Renew Integrative & Functional Medicine. Please upload a photo for your profile.
- In the right-hand column select "my account details" and enter all of the requested information.
- Select "questionnaires" and electronically sign the "patient care agreement" and "HIPAA privacy authorization form".
- Select "labs and documents" and upload any of your recent labs or tests that you would like Dr. Fox to review. It is very important that these be uploaded 72 hours before your appointment. It is best for you to request and upload these documents yourself. Having records sent to us from other offices often leads to delays that necessitate rescheduling.
- Enter all medications that you currently take under "my medications".
- Enter all herbs, vitamins, and supplements that you currently take under "my supplements". If you don't see your exact brand or dosage listed, simply choose the most accurate basic option available and use the free text to type in any specifics. (Example: select "Vitamin D" and type in "XYZ brand 2,000 IU").
- If this is your first appointment, please also schedule your follow up now for 2-3 weeks later. Because the schedule fills up quickly, waiting to schedule the follow up will mean a delay in receiving your test results and care plan.
Q3. Do you currently accept health insurance?
We currently do not accept any form of health insurance or Medicare or Medicaid, so we are considered an out-of-network or non-participating provider. If you wish, we can provide you with a visit superbill so that you can submit it to your insurance company. However, please note that it is your responsibility to determine what, if any, out-of-network benefits you have with your insurance plan.
Q4.Can I review a copy of your HIPAA Privacy Practices?
Sure! Click here to review or print our HIPAA Privacy Practices. A copy is also available in the office.
Q5. Can you be my primary physician?
Dr. Fox is not practicing primary care at Renew. She is acting as a consultant. Patients should keep their primary care physician.
Q6. Where do you recommend I buy my vitamins and supplements?
You are certainly welcome to purchase your supplements wherever you choose! We do carry many high quality brands selected by Dr. Fox in the office. Additionally, please feel free to shop Wellevate for a 15% online discount.
Q7. Will my insurance cover the labs you order?
Insurance coverage is very much plan dependent. You should check with your plan to see what lab they prefer you use. Dr. Fox will provide you with a lab order that you will then take to Labcorp or Quest. Not all tests are covered by insurance and sometimes you must first meet a high deductible. Please find out the specifics before your appointment, and certainly before having any tests done.
Q8. How will I find out my test results and your recommendations?
You will find out your lab results and Dr. Fox's recommendations at your follow-up appointment. Results will not be posted to the portal before that time. Labs always take at least a full 7 business days to result so please take that into account when scheduling your follow-up appointment.
Q9. Is the office handicap accessible?
Yes, the office is ADA accessible.
Q10. Will you bill me, and how can I pay?
Payment is requested at the time of service. Debit, credit, cash, and check are accepted.
Q11. Can you prescribe medication if I need it?
Yes, Dr. Fox is a board certified physician and can prescribe medication. In order for medication refills to be approved, patients must be seen in the office at least every six months. She does not prescribe any controlled substances with the exception of medical marijuana.
Q12. Where can I park? Where can I eat lunch?
Maplewood was voted best downtown in NJ in 2015 and it has gotten even better since then. Renew sits steps from the Midtown Direct train station prompting the towns nickname Brooklyn West. Midtown Manhattan is a hop and a skip away. Parking is free on street and in lots for up to two hours. Grab a bite to eat in town, we have some amazing options.
Q13. How many appointments will I need?
You will need to schedule an initial appointment and a follow-up appointment for 2-3 weeks later. At your second visit Dr. Fox will indicate when she recommends that you return. Typically that timleine is approximately 6-12 weeks later but each patients follow-up plan is dependent on their individual case. Patients who are prescribed medication must be seen in the office at least every six months.
Q14. Can you help me lose weight? Will you give me a meal plan?
Dr. Fox does not specialize in weight loss. She does absolutely view a supportive diet as critical to the healing process. While she sometimes make recommendations for particular dietary approaches, she does recommend those who would like more support connect with nutrition consultant Amy Rind. Amy can help you implement recommendations and/or develop a nutrition and lifestyle plan that works for you.
Q15. What labs do you order tests from?
Lab tests are typically ordered from Labcorp, Quest, or Genova Diagnostics. Dr. Fox will give you a lab order to bring to an outside lab, blood tests are not drawn at Renew.
Labcorp & Quest
Labcorp and Quest are two of the most commonly used labs used in New Jersey. Most tests can be done through Labcorp or Quest. However, there are some Functional Medicine tests that Dr. Fox orders through Genova. Lab draw appointments can be scheduled directly on the Labcorp and Quest websites.
Genova offers highly specialized Functional Medicine testing. Not all Genova tests are covered by insurance. Visit the Genova site to see what testing options are available, as well as to contact Genova directly to inquire about insurance coverage. Click here for a list of local labs that perform Genova testing. A cash pay pricing list for all Genova testing is available here